Admission Requirements for the Graduate Program
In order to be competitive for admission as a classified student to the MA programs in Linguistics at San Diego State University, applicants must meet the criteria below. Applicants who do not meet the minimum GPA and/or test scores may be considered for conditional admission. (Note: In order to be considered for admission, including conditional admission, we must receive a complete application including GRE scores.)
- Obtain a GPA of 3.0 or higher in the last 60 units of coursework taken.
- Take the GRE and receive the minimum score in each section:
Verbal: 153 Quantitative: 144 Analytical Writing: 4.0
- (For applicants needing to demonstrate English language proficiency) Take either the TOEFL iBT (internet based test) or the IELTS test and receive the minimum score below:
TOEFL iBT: 90 IELTS: 7.0
- (Preferred but not required) Major or minor in Linguistics or a related area.
How to Apply
The Department of Linguistics strongly encourages applicants to submit a complete application, including all information requested in items 1-3 below, by February 15, 2018 (earlier than the deadlines set by the university).
- 1. Submit the University Online Application (Cal State Apply).
- All applicants to the program must first fill out an online application on Cal State Apply and pay the required fee by March 1, 2018. An SDSU RED ID Number will then be assigned which allows tracking of application status online.
- Official transcripts in sealed envelopes: One official transcript from all postsecondary institutions attended, including community colleges, is required. Note: Students who attended SDSU only need to submit transcripts for work completed since last attendance. Students with international coursework must submit both the official original-language transcript and the proof of degree. If documents are in a language other than English, they must be accompanied by a certified English translation.
Send transcripts to:
5500 Campanile Dr.
San Diego State University
San Diego, CA 92182-7416
- GRE scores: Use SDSU Institution Code 4682 to submit your scores electronically. Minimum required scores are mentioned above.
- TOEFL iBT or IELTS: Students who received a B.A. from a university in which English is not the primary language of instruction are required to take either the TOEFL iBT (internet-based test) or the IELTS test to demonstrate English language proficiency. Use SDSU Institution Code 4682 to submit your scores electronically. Minimum required scores are mentioned above, and are higher than those required by the University.
- A statement of your research interests and professional goals.
- Two letters of recommendation – Applicant must provide names and email addresses for recommenders. Recommenders will be invited to complete the recommendation electronically. A third letter of recommendation is optional.
Prof. Gregory D. Keating