Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) About the Certificate in Korean Studies

Does it matter in what order I take the Certificate courses?

There is no required order, except that KOR 301 must be taken before KOR 302.

Is there a time limit for completion of Certificate coursework?


How long does the Certificate program take?

Since 301 and 302 are given once a year, and since 321 and 430 are scheduled once a year, it should be possible to finish the Certificate Program in two semesters.

How can I apply for the Certificate program? 

Fill out a Certificate Enrollment Form and return it Certificate Administrator, Department of Linguistics, San Diego State University, San Diego, CA 92182-7727.

You can register, and pay for, courses for the Certificate in any of two ways:

  1. As an undergraduate candidate for a bachelor's degree, taking the courses as electives (Note: International Business majors may count most of the Certificate course work toward their major requirements, but other majors may count no more than six units toward both an undergraduate major or minor (other than a Linguistics minor), unless otherwise stated).  Information regarding fees can be found at the SDSU University's Tuition and Fees page. You must have been admitted to San Diego State University through the regular application process.

  2. Through the College of Extended Studies ("Open University").  Additional information is available at College of Extended Studies website. No application or acceptance procedure is necessary; the College of Extended Studies is the division of the university open to the general public. (Note: the course work and all Certificate requirements are the same regardless of the way you register and pay for them, and there is no difference between Certificates earned by individuals registering through Extended Studies and those earned by individuals registering as admitted students.)

How do I obtain the completion of certificate document? 

After completion of the coursework for the certificate, students should contact the department office and provide an unofficial transcript showing that relevant coursework has been completed.  

For any questions, students should contact the certificate advisor (