Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) in Koren Studies

What is the difference between KOE101 section 1(Heritage class) and KOR101 section 2 (non-heritage class) in elementary Korean classes?

Students who consider themselves as heritage students must take KOR 101 section 1 (heritage class). If a student is raised in a home where a non-English language (Korean in this case) is spoken, he/she is defined as a heritage student. Students who speak or merely understand the Korean language, and who are to some degree bilingual in English and Korean are also defined as heritage students. For those students who do not know how to read/write Korean at all, but have some degree of understanding in Korean, we recommend them take KOR101, section 2 (non-heritage class).

I have some limited background/knowledge in speaking/listening but can’t read or write Korean at all. Which classes should I take KOR101, section 1or section 2?

If you have no literacy skills in Korean, you should enroll in Elementary Korean section 1 (heritage class). If you have no knowledge of the language at all, we recommend you to start with Elementary Korean 1 section 2 (non-heritage class).

I am an American student. I studied Korean for 2 years in Korea. I can read and write Korean but I still need to take a Korean class to improve my knowledge of Korean language. Which Korean class do you recommend?

See instructor for proficiency evaluation

How many different Korean language classes are currently offered at SDSU during the academic year?

SDSU offers three different levels of Korean language classes: KOR101 and 102 (Korean Elementary Classes), KOR 201 and 202 (Intermediate Korean Classes), and KOR 301 (Advanced Korean Classes). KOR 101, 201 and 301 are offered at fall semester only and KOR 102, 202 and 302 are offered at spring semester.

Do I need to take placement test to enroll Korean classes?

Placement tests for Korean Language Classes are not offered at this time. However, you need to get approval from the instructor for a Korean class.

Can I use Korean classes to fulfill GE Requirements?

Yes. KOR 101, 102, 201, 202 fulfill “FOUNDATIONS - HUMANITIES" requirements. GE requirements (General catalogue, part 4, p.90) and KOR 301 and KOR 302 fulfill “Exploration of Human experience” requirements (General catalogue, part 4, p. 93). KOR 101, 102 and 201 fulfill all GE requirements. For more detail information, refer general catalogue.

I am not a SDSU student but I want to take a Korean class at SDSU. Can I register a Korean class?

Yes. You can take Korean classes through Open University Program at SDSU.

How do I download the Korean language pack?

How do I write and read Korean on the net?

Basic Tips: These are only few of those most frequently asked questions. Your questions or comments are welcome.

Browsing Websites in Korean

On the menu bar of your web browser go to "View" ›› "Encoding (IE)" or "Character Set (NS)," and check "Korean" is selected. This solves most cases of broken Korean letters.

Typing emails in Korean

Unless you use PCs with the operating system (OS) of Windows 2000 or Windows XP, you need to have a separate application installed in the system. For PCs, you can free download Microsoft Input Method Editor (IME) for Korean from their website. IME works with MS Office applications (MS Word, Excel, Outlook Express etc.) and Internet Explorer (IE).

Open a file with extension of .hwp

You have to have Hangul application (provided by Hangul & Computer) installed in your computer.